Welcome to the online home of Jewish Family Congregation—a unique and vital center of Jewish life in Northern Westchester County. Small and energetic, welcoming, progressive, and egalitarian, JFC is distinctive for being warm, embracing and intimate. With our innovative, creative and friendly Rabbi, Marcus Burstein, our very talented Cantor, Kerry Ben David, our award-winning educators in our religious school and early childhood center, JFC is a home of diverse families and singles, welcoming those of various ages and Jewish backgrounds as well as LGBT and interfaith households. We worship with energy, joy, reverence and beautiful music; explore and deepen our Jewish identities; share the happiest and most meaningful times in our lives; support one another in times of sadness and challenge; and grow and learn as Jews, residents of Westchester, and citizens of the global community.
Please take the time to explore our website and to get an inkling, if only virtually, of what makes JFC so special. If you're intrigued and want to learn more, please accept our invitation to get to know us in person by being our guest for Shabbat services some Friday evening or Saturday morning, by sitting in on a torah study class, by attending one of our many special programs, by checking out our JFC history project, all of which you can explore preliminarily on our website. Or feel free to call one of us to chat or drop by to meet our Rabbi, our Cantor and our teachers.
One way or another, on-line or in person, spend some time with us and see why we're all so proud to call JFC our home.
Glenn Kurlander and Hal Wolkin, co-Presidents
Titles include picture books, adult fiction, non-fiction&cookbooks.Located in the Garden Room, the Book Fair will be open during Religious School and Early Childhood Center hours:
Sunday, October 19 9:00 –12:00 pm
Monday, October 20 4:00 –6:30 pm
Thursday, October 23 4:00—6:30 pm
Sunday October 26 9:00—12:00 pm
Monday , October 20 9:00 - 9:30
Tuesday, October 21 9:00 - 9:30 and 11:30 - 12:15
Wednesday, October 22 9:00 - 9:30
Friday, October 24 9:00 - 9:30 and 11:30 - 12:15
Please contact the office if you are able to volunteer at the book fair for a few hours.
Learn, cook, and taste some of Rabbi Burstein'sfavorite Jewish Middle Eastern recipes.
$18 for JFC member, $36 for non-member
Click to Register for this event
Join us for Shabbat service, Friday, October 24, 7:30 pm. We will be celebrating the baby naming of Maci Greenspan-Andujar..
You are all welcome for Shabbat service, Saturday, October 25, 10:30 am.
Jewish Brunch and Learn Torah, Saturday, October 25, 11:15 am.
Jewish Book Fair open in the garden room at JFC from Sunday, October 19 through Sunday, October 26, 2014.
Wednesday, October 15 at 7:30 pm - Simchat Torah - 7th Graders and their families will host Oneg for the service.
No Religious School classes October 16 due to Simchat Torah.
Grade 7 class meets on October 18 from 9:30-11:15 am and parents and all congregants are encouraged to join us for Shabbat morning services starting at 10:30 am.
JFC Religious School visits the JFC Book Fair - Octoer 19-26
1. Religious School registration update: Class lists for all K through 7 registrants have been established and all personal requests have been honored. For families who have not yet enrolled their child/ren, please do so as soon as possible; we will do our best to honor all incoming requests but cannot guarantee placement at this time. We look forward to a very special school year with many new and returning students.
2. Back to School Reminder for Parents:1. Students need to bring a healthy snack to Religious School for grades K-7 (no nuts or tree nuts, please).2. We encourage a weekly donation of any amount to our Tzedakah Program.3. All students are given a kippah to wear each time we meet for services and music in the sanctuary. These cotton kippot are washed according to NYS Health Department standards every time they are used, without exception, as we believe these sanitary measures are in the best interest of our families.4. Class lists will be emailed before the start of school.5. Click here for first day of school dates.
3. Register now for the Religious School Challah Program for the 2014-15 school year. Click here to access flyer.
4. Click here for 2014-15 Religious School Calendar.
5. STARS Flyer can be found here.
6. Kids Knesset - Student Government Program for grades K-6. Meetings take place Thursdays and Sundays during the Religious School year. Complete form to volunteer.
Click here for Religious School forms. Please be sure to complete a Health and Safety form for each student and return to JFC at your earliest convenience. If you prefer to download the form, print, fill and return to the office, click here.
Our Young Community Shabbat starts this Friday 11:30 am -12 noon. Please join us for our Shabbat celebration, sing songs with Rabbi Burstein and our ECC community, and have a yummy Shabbat nosh. Old friends and new are welcome!
Register now for the ECC Challah program for the 2014-2015 School year.
Back To School
contact Jane Emmer at 914-763-3028 x 15.
The next Midnight Run will be on Saturday, December 6. We need volunteers to attend the run and to make bag dinners. Prior to then, we will need volunteers to help sort and label clothing. And finally, we will need donations of gently used men's clothing and new men's underwear and socks. Donation bin can be found in hallway closet. Contact
Oct.19.2014 - Oct.26.2014 Book Fair
7:30pm Oct.24.2014 - 8:30pm Oct.24.2014 Shabbat service
Oct.25.2014 10:30am - 11:15am Shabbat service
Oct.25.2014 11:15am - 12:15pm Jewish BLT (Brunch and Learn Torah)
Oct.31.2014 11:30am - 12:00pm Young Community Shabbat with the ECC - Open to All
7:30pm Oct.31.2014 - 8:30pm Oct.31.2014 Shabbat services
View previous newsletters
Click to open the reader
Click here to download a pdf version to your computer
Jewish Family Congregation 111 Smith Ridge RoadPO Box 249South Salem, New York 10590P: (914)-763-3028F: (914)-763-3069